Friday, December 26, 2008

Don't Take the Girl

I think I've recovered a bit emotionally to finally write about many of the things that would just bring me to tears had I written about them a few weeks ago.  So, I will be writing a few posts not only for others to read, but mostly for my family and I to look back on.


Dom and I loved this song by Tim McGraw titled "Don't Take the Girl".  It has been one of my favorite country songs for several years, and I have always laughed while Dom listened to it because he is always so emotional with this song.  His eyes would always well up with tears and I found it funny because I knew for some reason that he was thinking of us in the same position. I've always told him that he was so silly and that it would never be the case for us.


I remember being in the CCU on Thanksgiving Day talking to my mom and Susie and telling them about this song.  I could barely even get the words out that I was trying to tell them about this song and our crazy situation.  All the emotions I had were just welling up inside of me because here we sat in the CCU with my husband who had been so strong in a situation where his girl could have been taken.  As I hear from many friends and family about the severity of the condition I was in,  I shudder.  I am so thankful for God's healing hand over my body.  As I hear not only about how Dom gave the news to some, but how it was given,  it still breaks my heart. To hear how my love was in tears and distraught without someone to really comfort him is still saddening to me.  I don't know how I would be in this situation, honestly, I would probably lose whatever composure I had left and be a wreck.  He would be the first one to be my source of comfort and encouragement, to be my rock, just as I would be for him, but given the situation at hand, that wasn't feasible.  


There were so many times that I just wanted it all to stop and just leave and let me be.  It's hard to be in a hospital, I thought maternity was bad in not getting rest, the CCU starts their rounds/day at 3:30 AM.  I wanted to be home enjoying my family and not being at the mercy of those taking care of me (although obviously it's what had to be done).  Dom's encouragement and love (believe me, he loves me a lot to go through a lot of what he did!) gave me such a boost to push through all that was going on.  I have the best hubby a girl could ask for!  He is definitely my rock and one to be admired.


I am so very thankful for my parents and their constant encouragement and just nurturing love that they not only showered me with, but so much more so for my husband.  Dom was my rock, and I know that their love for him was a huge comfort for him and just helped him to continue being what I needed him to be for me at that time.  My parents were there as soon as they could arrive each morning with breakfast from wherever he wanted or whatever they thought he would want. They would come back with lunch for him, and my dad would make sure to bring him dinner or take him down to the cafeteria to relieve him of some stress while my mom sat with me.  That week in the hospital was one very intense time of bonding with my mom for me.  It was so comforting for me to have her by my side and to be constantly encouraged that this would pass.  She took great care of me, more that I think she would want to (in some ways), and I cannot thank her enough for her love for me and my family.  My dad was there to help in any way he could.  I know it was hard for him to see me in the state I was in, and feeling helpless in the matter, but he took care of my love and so many of his needs.  I know Dom is just like a son to them, and I am so grateful for the relationship they have with him. I love my parents so very much!


Here are the lyrics of the song:


Johnny's daddy was taking him fishin'

When he was eight years old

A little girl came through the front gate holdin' a fishing pole

His dad looked down and smiled, said we can't leave her behind

Son I know you don't want her to go but someday you'll change your mind

And Johnny said "Take Jimmy Johnson, take Tommy Thompson, take my best friend Bo

Take anybody that you want as long as she don't go

Take any boy in the world

Daddy please don't take the girl


Same old boy

Same sweet girl

Ten years down the road

He held her tight and kissed her lips

In front of the picture show

Stranger came and pulled a gun

Grabbed her by the arm said "If you do what I tell you to, there won't be any harm" 

And Johnny said "Take my money, take my wallet, take my credit cards

Here's the watch that my grandpa gave me

Here's the key to my car

Mister give it a whirl

But please don't take the girl


Same old boy

Same sweet girl

Five years down the road

There's going to be a little one and she says it's time to go

Doctor says the baby's fine but you'll have to leave

'Cause his momma's fading fast and Johnny hit his knees and there he prayed

Take the very breath you gave me

Take the heart from my chest

I'll gladly take her place if you'll let me

Make this my last request

Take me out of this world

God, please don't take the girl


Johnny's daddy

Was taking him fishin'

When he was eight years old


2 comments:

abigail grace said...

oh' you brought tears to my eyes..... we love you and Dom so much...... that song will never be the same now.... love You!

Anonymous said...

OK I am a MESS now with reading your blog! You are so lucky to have such a wonderful hubby.